From the A303 travelling from the West Country
- Leave the A303 on the B3081. This is after Wincanton. You will turn left off the dual carriageway, signed Penselwood, Gillingham, Shaftesbury. Don’t go towards Penselwood, but keep bearing left, driving under the dual carriageway you have just left and up on to the B3081 where you turn right. After 4 or 5 miles you will reach Gillingham. Turn right at the first traffic lights and then bear straight on heading towards Shaftesbury, leaving Waitrose on your left at the second traffic lights. (Useful for coffee, snack, WC, etc!) It’s about 30 minutes to Clayesmore from Waitrose!
- You will drive up a twisting steep road into Shaftesbury. Follow signs for Blandford and the A350. That’s the 4th exit at the first roundabout you come to, straight on at the mini roundabout and then 2nd exit at the next large roundabout (Royal Chase Hotel and the junction with the A30.)
- It’s 5 miles to Clayesmore from here but the road is not a fast one. You travel through several villages – Compton Abbas, Fontmell Magna, Sutton Waldron and then just as you see the sign heralding your arrival in Iwerne Minster, slow down straightaway – you will become aware of Clayesmore on your right. Turn right off the A350 at the first entrance. For the Prep School you will need to turn left very soon after entering the drive, and for the Senior School, carry straight on right around the central lawns to the Main House.
From the A303 travelling from London
- Leave the A303 a mile or two after Chicklade. You turn right off a single carriage way road signed Warminster, Blandford, A350. You will quickly come to the A350 which runs underneath the A303. Turn left towards Blandford and Shaftesbury and carry on into Shaftesbury. You will arrive at a large roundabout. Stay on the A350 towards Blandford – that’s the 2nd exit.
- Straight on at the mini roundabout and then you will very quickly arrive at another large roundabout (Royal Chase Hotel and the junction with the A30.)
- Follow paragraph 3 above.
From Poole, Dorchester, Weymouth
Head towards Blandford Forum on the A350 (Poole etc) or the A354 (Dorchester). You will arrive at the TESCO roundabout where the Blandford bypass begins. Follow signs to Warminster, staying on the Blandford bypass and going straight on at each of the roundabouts. Eventually, you will descend a long sweeping hill and arrive at a set of traffic lights. Carry straight on, remaining on the A350. Pass through Stourpaine and then negotiate a series of sharp bends. You will arrive in Iwerne Minster and will come across the Talbot Hotel on your right. Stay on the main road passing the first entrance into Clayesmore on your left. 400 yards later you will come to the main entrance on your left. Turn in. Turn left immediately inside the Clayesmore estate for the Prep School, or carry on around the drive to the Main House for the Senior School.
From Southampton, Portsmouth, Isle of Wight
- Follow M27, A31 to Ringwood. Stay on A31.
- Very soon after Ringwood, on dual carriageway, look out for signs to Bournemouth on the left and be ready to leave main carriageway. However, make sure you are in the right hand lane (of four) on the slip road off the A31 as you will be turning right at the junction at the top of the incline.
- You head right, around the junction, over the road you have just left, and then turn left on a C road towards Ashley Heath and Horton. Watch out for the speed camera half a mile along – 40 mph!
- Carry on for 3 to 4 miles past Ashley Heath into Three Legged Cross. Another speed camera just as you hit the 30mph zone. Straight on at the mini roundabout (filling station on your left) and straight on again at the next mini roundabout.
- Head on towards Horton. 4 to 5 miles later you will come to a T-junction with the Horton Inn immediately in front of you. Turn left and then immediately right towards Shaftesbury. Over hump back bridge and waterworks on your left.
- Follow road through to junction with main A354. Turn left towards Blandford. Carry on for 2 to 3 miles. You come to Tarrant Hinton.
- At Tarrant Hinton, take right turn off the main road. It’s immediately after the big green road sign.
- Follow this road for 5 miles through Tarrant Hinton, Tarrant Gunville and Stubhampton. Watch out for deer! You will eventually drive up a long straight hill to a T-junction.
- Go right and immediately left towards Iwerne Minster. Drive down long hill into the village. Take care! Narrow in places and quite bendy. At the bottom, you will discover the Clayesmore Art Department in the old village school on your left, but stay on the road and bear right at the Y shaped junction at the War Memorial, with Clayesmore immediately in front of you.
- Ignore this first entrance and bear right along the main road (A350). 400 yards later you will come to the main Clayesmore entrance. Turn left into Clayesmore and then, if going to the Prep School, left again. For the Senior School, carry on around the drive until you come to the Main House.